Monday, June 21, 2010

The Telegraph Reports That Rahm Emanuel Is Calling It Quits (Updated)

The Telegraph has published a late-night bombshell: Rahm Emanuel will leave his White House position later this year. The Telegraph article describes Emanuel in terms that many other media have utilized. It reports that the "pragmatic" Rahm is leaving because he has grown tired of the "idealism" among President Obama's inner circle.

Earlier this year, several media outlets published articles that praise Emanuel as a political strategist. These articles emerged as many liberals criticized Emanuel. At the time, several bloggers viewed the articles as an orchestrated "swan song." Perhaps these bloggers were correct.

Update: The White House has dismissed this story as rubbish.

Update II: Emanuel says the story is "b.s."

5 comments:

Kathy said...

If this is true, I think it's a positive sign. Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but it's hard not to see a Rahm Emanuel departure as a victory for progressives.

I'm still not sure how seriously to take this story, though. I mean, the Telegraph is not exactly the gold standard of quality news coverage.

Darren Lenard Hutchinson said...

Kathy: Whether this news, if true, represents a victory for liberals depends upon the person Obama chooses to replace Emanuel.

Hippi Chicki Niki said...

I see it as a bad thing, even though I am an extreme progressive. There is a need to recognize reality and have a pragmatic approach even as we strive to change that reality. I think that Emmanuel's pragmatism coupled with idealized ends is a good combination. I really hope that they'd quit that whole sacrifice anything for one republican to cross the line for a law to be bipartisan thing that keeps getting all of the progressive legislation gutted by the Olympia Snowes, Lindsey Grahams and Scott Browns. Other than that, the slow, steady, idealist/pragmatic combination of how Obama and Emmanuel work is something I like. How Jon Stewart keeps saying he can't figure out if Obama is incredibly naive or if he's some kind of Jedi Master; I think they're a bit of a Jedi Master team. there was this really good article (NY Times, I think) that talked about the "boring speech" strategy and the effectiveness of the Obama administration... hold on google chrome has a really good feature that searches your history that should find it for me in seconds...

Here: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/opinion/17collins.html?_r=1&src=tp

It is kind of saying some of what I mean.

Darren Lenard Hutchinson said...

Niki: It is unclear whether he is leaving. I am all for pragmatism. The problem I have with the pragmatism arguments that appear in most media reporting of Obama and Emanuel is that they portray pragmatism and liberalism as mutually exclusive concepts. I disagree with this. Every progressive movement that has accomplished change has done so with healthy amounts of patience and compromise. But they have also utilized protest as well!

Hippi Chicki Niki said...

Touché!

Real Time Analytics