Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Pick Me! Caroline Kennedy Officially on the Job Market

After initial reports gave conflicting information, it is now official: Caroline Kennedy wants to fill Hillary Clinton's U.S. Senate seat. I have applied for a few jobs in my lifetime, but I cannot imagine "applying" for a Senate position: "Dear Governor Paterson, I am certain that you have received many applications for this important position, but my resume warrants careful consideration."

How does the Dissenting Justice crowd feel about this development? I think she will likely get it. Why would she go public unless she expected the job? Besides, Obama personally called Paterson and supported her candidacy -- pre-Blagojevich. If you are deeply cynical, you might even believe that she has made her desire public in order to appear "transparent" and avoid having her inevitable selection look like a backroom deal. But what do I know about deep cynicism?

13 comments:

Deep Cynic said...

She will definitely get the job. Well, I am going out on a limb here. But I agree with you that people this powerful do not publicly make their wishes known until they know they are getting what they want. UNLESS they do so to apply pressure, but she does not need to go public in order to apply pressure.

Darren Lenard Hutchinson said...

Well said, Deep Cynic. Yes, I thought about the "pressure" option, but dismissed it for the same reason you did.

Michelle Singer said...

I guess this country really needs political dynasties.

Anonymous said...

Even though it's nepotism, I believe she would do a great job. I mean, she has a lot of experience in politics.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous: can you outline for me exactly what that "lot of experience in politics" consits of? other than endorsing and campaigning for BHO. I'm a New Yorker and I'd like to know.

Daniel said...

Apparently "a lot of experience in politics" is defined as... having lots of relatives who are in politics.....

Darren Lenard Hutchinson said...

Anonymous #2 - people are talking about the "experience" issue: http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/12/16/america/kennedy.php

Darren Lenard Hutchinson said...

Daniel - lol.

Zelda the Quark said...

It seems that politics is one field where no experience is necessary.

Could we imagine a doctor or a lawyer, with no credentials or experience in their respective fields, becoming a Surgeon General or Attorney General?

Apparently, all it takes to become a prominent and powerful politician is a few friends in high places.

Page W.H. Brousseau IV said...

Is NY State really that short on qualified people? Well it's better than appointing a spouse, as when happens when someone who dies, though I think BC would be a great pick for many reasons. I say that as a Republican as well.

Darren Lenard Hutchinson said...

I guess NY likes stars. Some have begun comparing this with Clinton, but I think Clinton had done more at the time to prove her eligibility. She too lacked a resume in public office, but if I were to take a risk on someone it would have been Clinton. I have not seen much of Kennedy to put her in that category, but I just have a suspicion that it is her seat. I heard about this from "insiders" a long time ago.

FLRN said...

Perhaps you could say she is a politician through "genetic default"...much like a pre-existing condition. With her family history New York will embrace her in the role - resume or not!

Darren Lenard Hutchinson said...

I'm not sure I'm with the genetic predisposition to politics. But I agree that NY - at least most of NY -- will embrace her. Upstate is a different story; that's where the vulnerabilty lies. Hence, she is on an upstate speaking tour! Hillary Clinton did the same thing before she ran for office.

Real Time Analytics