Thursday, December 4, 2008

Drink Coffee With Obama: DNC Offers Commemorative Obama Holiday Coffee Mug for Donations!

The Democratic Party has created a commemorative Obama Holiday Coffee Mug, which donors of $15 or more can receive, just in time to sip coffee with Obama during the holiday season! Is this a tacky and bizarre "cult of personality" moment, or am I being too picky?

PS: It's a "Limited Edition."


Double Jointed Fingers said...

What? Is the DNC broke? With Obama taking control, if the DNC needs money, it doesn't bode well for the rest of us.

Soon it will be:
Buy a Bail Out Mug For {insert company name here}

Charles Davis said...

One would think that after all the news stories about Obama's "transformational", technology-driven 21st century presidential campaign, the DNC could at least come up with something a little more imaginative than a . . . commemorative coffee mug.

Not only is it a bit creepy, but more importantly, it's about as exciting and innovative as a bowl of instant mashed potatoes.

Where's my Obama-themed iPod, damn it?

Darren Lenard Hutchinson said...

FYI: Yes, I read that the DNC is having $$$ issues.

Heidi Li said...

It is a bizarre cult-of-personality meets broke-organization meets DNC-goes-QVC moment.

The DNC deep in the red, by the way. President-elect Obama can also give the DNC unlimited donations - but you can be sure he is saving any surplus funds for his own reelection


Aeneas said...

As Heidi Li says--there is here a creepy whiff of personality cult.

It would be interesting to read what you think of the 'whiff'. May be a post on this to illuminate the issue?

If there is one, I think it is the duty of the communities such as this to fight it. Personality cult in a democracy is grotesque.

Darren Lenard Hutchinson said...

Charles: Obama-themed I-Pod - don't tempt them. I can see such gadgetry emerging. I have never witnessed a commerialized president, although the campaigning certainly was. I think that all things are possible.

Heidi -- I imagine he is not going to let go of his cash.

Aeneas - I just found it odd. I received my DNC email and this was the enclosure. I have never seen a presdential coffee mug. The "I voted" buttons and stickers are about as much of a souvenir as I expect from an election. Now that we have Obama coffee mugs, maybe baseball caps and jerseys are next. Why not create a whole line of Obama products -- pajamas, luggage.... The DNC could have a cash cow.

shag carpet bomb said...

In line with your cult of personality thesis, which I think is an excellent observation, I notice that, for some reason, a popular search for finding my blog was "What does obama like to eat?" via my. my. my.

Real Time Analytics